My Aunt Joanne

>> Sunday, November 2, 2008

Uncle Pete sent out a link to an online tribute for Aunt Joanne. There is a video slideshow there that was very nice. I got kind of choked up when I saw the later photo of her on horseback... she always loved horses.

I wish I'd had more contact with her when we were younger, but we lived closer to and saw more of Aunt Jean. I know all the families got together when we were small, but I don't remember Aunt Joanne's presence as much as the others... I wonder why. I suspect she receded a bit more into the background during those younger days, she being the baby of that family. The men probably did most of the talking (sports, etc. ... just my dad and Uncle Hage alone could keep up a lively conversation with little outside help). ;-)

Here is the link for the video slideshow:
http://www.hennesseyfuneralhomes.com/obit-sharing-memories.jsp?site=0417&id=35871

This was a nice memorial someone left at the site:

I was saddened to read of Joanne's passing. I know she had been ill for a while. The last time I saw her was at their community's art show this past summer where she had some of her beautiful work on display. It was my pleasure to have met Joanne through the Birch Bay Village Art Club. I had the privledge of teaching a couple of series of watercolor classes for the group. Joanne's talent, particularly with florals, was amazing. And not only was she a gifted artist, she was a gentle soul willing to share her creative ideas and friendship with those fortunate enough to meet her. My sincerest sympathy and prayers are with both her immediate family and her community. I know Joanne's passing leaves a void for many.

Nancy Grigsby
Blaine, WA 98230
Grandma Alice Hough with Joanne on her lap, Aunt Jean to the right and my mom, Arline, standing in the back.

This picture always impressed me when I was growing up. Her high school times as a drum majorette. She won a local bathing beauty contest later on. In those days the suits were modest.
The Hough sisters, taken in August of 2000 at the Hough Family Reunion in Montana. My mother, Arline, (on the left) died in August of 2006. Aunt Joanne (center) died October 19th. Aunt Jean (right) is now the only surviving daughter of Merle and Alice Hough. I don't think of the departed as "not surviving" you understand... just moved from one realm to another. There are a host of loving, warm and boisterous Hough relatives on the other side. What a welcoming committee they would be. :-) I recently had a chance to visit my cousin, Bill, and he shared an out of body experience he had when deathly ill with meningitis at Fort Lewis, back in 1969. He said, "You know when they say when you're dead, you're dead? That's not true." I've not had his experiences, but he was preaching to the choir.

3 comments:

The Miller's November 2, 2008 at 1:32 PM  

In the picture of the three girls and their mother, your mom looks like Calvin in the face (or I should say Calvin looks like your mom in that picture).

The Miller's November 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Found a good picture to compare on Rachel's blog:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_orIwdnLIOus/SOBVXbeYucI/AAAAAAAAAxo/tHdZsDLPptU/s1600-h/378635805_teep4124.jpg

Kathy M. November 2, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

When you look at only that photo I can see what you're talking about. But I guess in general I've never seen much similarity. Her nose was more pointy. Maybe in the shape of the eyes (but I think his are bigger and more open).

I'll have to see if I notice that as he gets older.

Just got home. Linda told me you had a sore neck or something. I hope you're doing better. She got there just barely in time and I didn't know whether I should go up and lead or what was going on. Ron was prodding me to notice you were gone. I didn't think you would have failed to call someone. If you could let me know if someone has been asked at the last when you're on the program, that would save me some moments of anxiety. ;-) ...wondering if it's my job to get up and fill in.

You missed the changing of the guard today... release of our R.S. Presidency and new ones put in. Sister Maw the President, Sister Parker 1st Counselor and Sister Frandsen the 2nd Counselor. Linda Nyland is the new secretary.

Guess I'd better change clothes and go up and eat a real dinner!

Miller Family in October 1993

Miller Family in October 1993

Miller Family in 1986

Miller Family in 1986

Kristine's Wedding in Dec 2007

Kristine's Wedding in Dec 2007

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP