What a lovely day! :-)

>> Saturday, February 21, 2009

Miscanthus 'Yaku Jima' glistens in the winter light.
It will be cut to the ground very soon!


It was a most glorious day today! It's actually been sunny and mild for several days, but I haven't capitalized on it as much as I'd thought. Too many late hours and coming off the class on Wednesday. I was able to prune nearly half the roses today and do a little bit of weeding in that part of the rose bed... and... I took a few photos with a camera Burt brought over for me to try out. He's offered it for the England-Scotland trip if I think it would be useful. It's not the smallest camera one could have, but compared to the one I'm used to... a lightweight!
The Witch Hazel shown above was the first thing that really called to me this morning. The sunlight really brightens up those small fragrant flowers. I just LOVE the air outside right now. Three different fragrant plants are blooming around the place. I think I went on about this already. It was necessary to prune a few branches off this tree since they were rubbing on the edge of the roof and on our bedroom window. Even with its reduced profile, it's put on a nice show. I guess I didn't think it was going to get this tall since they are slow growing. Some of the hybrids are smaller than this species.

I wish I could inject the fragrance into these pictures... and also the background noises of birds, frogs, barking dogs and people doing things outside. It was that kind of day.

Ron has been picking away at some projects in the house. He put some moldings around the doors downstairs and also hung a door over a closet that has been open for a LONG time. It looks nice. :-) That got his juices going to finish the windows in the entry, living room and dining room. Also... the sill or threshold plate on the sliding door. Whatever you call that. He's not done yet, but it's coming along. I snapped a photo of him before working my way outside to take pictures and get some work done...
He's making the cuts outside... with this...
Next stop was near the porch. This plant was purchased last winter... a nice Hellebore called 'Ivory Prince.'
Most of the following are volunteers. The first is the "Stinking Hellebore" ... what a name! This one looks very happy and healthy. I think it's the first time it's bloomed.A volunteer snowdrop in the back. I don't know who planted snowdrops on this place, but they've cropped up in a couple of spots since we moved here. I did plant a few of a double variety in the north bed, but they have never seeded anywhere.The white form of hellebore... "Christmas Rose." It was so cold this winter for such a long time, "Christmas" came a bit late this season.Buds are emerging for the Helleborus orientalis (dusky pinkish-purple).A second Witch Hazel growing near the back of the garage. Without checking my notes, I think this is 'Arnold Promise.' I may also regret this placement later, since it's spreading enough to warrant some pruning in the next couple of seasons. In the autumn these turn beautiful shades of gold and reddish-rust.
Well... other things need to get done before bedtime... one of which is putting the clean sheets back on! I hope you all have a great weekend and for those who are up for the marathon... enjoy the Academy Awards if that's your thing. I set up the DVR to record it for a friend and was shocked to see they are devoting EIGHT hours to the whole shindig. Three hours of Red Carpet... four hours of coverage... then after shows with celebrity interviews, etc. The bright spot will surely be Hugh Jackman acting as master of ceremonies. I hope they have him sing. :-)

0 comments:

Miller Family in October 1993

Miller Family in October 1993

Miller Family in 1986

Miller Family in 1986

Kristine's Wedding in Dec 2007

Kristine's Wedding in Dec 2007

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP